compiled by Dave Scott, DCW staff
This article originally appeared in the April 2008 edition of Drum Corps World (Volume 37, Number 1) that marked the 36h anniversary of the publication.
Many of the active World and Open Class corps that will compete this summer on the DCI tour have not announced the specific musical selections they’ll be performing this season. However, here are the ones that have revealed their 2008 repertoire.
• Academy, “Vienna Nights”, Vienna Nights by Philip Wilby, Freud’s Dream, Mozart’s Theme,
Café Life, Gallop, Notturno and Finale-Alla Turka.
• Blue Devils, “Alea Lacta Est” (The Die Is Cast), TBA.
• Blue Knights — TBA.
• Blue Stars, “Le Tour: Every Second Counts”, La Vie en Rose by David Mack, Gassion
Giovanna and Giglielmi Guglielelmo, Reverie by Claude Debussy, Toccata by Charles-
Marie Widor, Pavane by Gabriel Faure, Pagodes by Claude Debussy, Prelude to the
Afternoon of a Faun by Claude Debussy, Suite Bergamasque by Claude Debussy, Claire de
Lune by Claude Debussy, Symphony No. 3 by Camille Saint Saens, 3 Gymnopedies: No. 1
by Erik Satie, The Girl with the Flaxen Hair by Claude Debussy, Pavane for a Dead
Princess by Claude Debussy and Le Tombeau de Couperin by Maurice Ravel.
• Bluecoats, “Knockout”, TBA.
• Boston Crusaders, Kingfishers Catch Fire by John Mackey
• The Cadets, “In Pursuit of Happiness”, An American Elegy by Frank Ticheli, Nitro by Frank
Ticheli, Round Four by Jay Bocook and Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli.
• Carolina Crown, TBA.
• Cascades, “Beyond the Forest”, music influenced by the works of: James Newton Howard,
John Powell, Stephen Sondheim and Javier Navarrete.
• The Cavaliers, “Samurai”, TBA.
• Colts, “Night and Day”, music influenced by the works of: Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein,
Miklos Rozsa and Andrew Lloyd Weber.
• Crossmen, “Planet X”, “The Planets”, Gustav Holst, Planet Earth.
• Glassmen, TBA.
• Madison Scouts, TBA.
• Mandarins, TBA.
• Pacific Crest – “Primality: The Ritual of Passion”, Blood Diamonds by James Newton
Howard, The Wind and the Lion by Jerry Goldsmith and Dralion from Cirque du Soleil.
• Phantom Regiment, “Spartacus”, TBA.
• Pioneer, “Celtic Reflections”, Suite in Eb (Intermezzo) by Gustav Holst, Lincolnshire Posy
(Harkstow Grange) by Percy Grainger, “The Celtic Symphony” by The Wolfe Tones,
Richard III by William Walton and Crown Imperial by William Walton.
• Santa Clara Vanguard, “3hree”, The Chairman Dances by John Adams, The Man in the Bath
by Philip Glass and Cloudburst by Eric Whitacre.
• Spirit, “pe-re-4-ery”, TBA.
• Troopers, “Ironhorse Express”, music influenced by the works of: Eric Whitacre, Sean
O’Loughlin, John Mackey, Richard Saucedo and William Gordon.
• 7th Regiment, “Mexican Landscapes”, music influenced by the works of: Alberto Ginastera,
Aaron Copland and H. Owen Reed.
• Blue Devils B, TBA.
• Blue Devils C, TBA.
• Capital Sound, “The Neverland”, selections from “The Neverland” by Jim Steinman.
• Citations – “The Razor’s Edge”, selections from “Sweeney Todd” by Stephen Sondheim
and selections from the contemporary rock group Evanesence.
• Colt Cadets, “New American Signatures”, America by Yes, American Tune by Paul Simon
and Song for America by Kansas.
• Dutch Boy, “Boxed”, TBA.
• Fever, TBA.
• Gold, TBA.
• H.Y.P.E., TBA.
• Impulse, TBA.
• Jersey Surf, TBA.
• Les Stentors, TBA.
• Memphis Sound, TBA.
• Mystikal, TBA.
• Oregon Crusaders, “Inner Connections”, TBA
• Racine Scouts, All the Way by Jimmy Van Heusen, The Way You Look Tonight by Jerome
Kern, Come Fly with Me by Sammy Cahn, I’ve Got You Under My Skin by Cole Porter,
Luck Be a Lady Tonight by Frank Loesser, That’s Life by Dean Kay and Kelly Gordon and
The Lady Is a Tramp by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart.
• Raiders, “Deep Blue”, “The Perfect Storm”by James Horner, O Magnum Mysterium by
Morten Lauridsen and an original composition by Michael Hamilton and Colin Bell.
• Revolution, “Elevation”, The Gravel Road (from “The Village”) by James Newton Howard,
Wild Nights by John Adams, First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith and Concerto Fantasy for
Two Timpanists & Orchestra by Philip Glass.
• Spartans, “Metallic Soundscapes”, Kingfishers Catch Fire by John Mackey, Turning by John
Mackey and Turbine by John Mackey.
• Spirit of Newark, NJ, TBA.
• Spokane Thunder, “Antithesis”, original compositions by Nick Golding and Jeffrey Willis.
• Targets, “The 13th Warrior”, selections from “The 13th Warrior” by Jerry Goldsmith
• Teal Sound, “Voices of the Seasons”, selections by Rajaton.
• Vanguard Cadets, “Perspectives”, TBA.
• Velvet Knights, “The Inferno”, Toccata & Fugue in D Minor by J.S. Bach, Highway to Hell by
AC/DC, Thriller by Michael Jackson, Strangers in the Night by Bert Kaempfort and
La Habenera (from “Carmen”) by Georges Bezet.