Steve Vickers, DCW Publisher
The November 2005 edition of Drum corps World was mailed to subscribers on Thursday, October 20. Here is a list of the articles and features included in this 24-page tabloid newspaper (Volume 34, Number 13), one of 18 issues totaling 400 pages of information produced yearly —
On the front page are color photos of: Blue Stars, La Crosse, Wi; Hawthorne Gold, Hawthorne, PA; Taipei Yuehfu, Taiwan, Republic of China; Showband Rastede, Rastede, Germany; Crossmen, Allentown, PA; U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MN; U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO; and U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT.
Also on the front cover are the following articles:
* “Senators top DCUK Finals for seventh time” — by Ian Scaife
* “Naval Academy tops Air Force at Interservice contest” — by Fran Haring
* “DCA will hold 2006 title even in Rochester, NY”
Additional photography in the issue includes the following corps: Kidsgrove Scouts, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, U.K.; The Cadets, Allentown, PA; George Bull, former director of the Yankee Rebels, Baltimore, MD; Gil Silva, president of Drum Corps Associates; Troopers, Casper, WY; Bluecoats, Canton, OH; Boston Crusaders, Boston, MA; Blue Devils, Concord, CA; Blue Knights, Denver, CO; Carolina Crown, Ft. Mill, SC; Capital Regiment, Columbus, OH; The Cavaliers, Rosemont, IL; Colts, Dubuque, IA; The Cadets, Allentown, PA; Crossmen, Allentown, PA; Madison Scouts, Madison, WI; Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets, Santa Clara, CA; Bushwackers, Harrison, NJ; New York Skyliners, New York City, NY; Empire Statesmen, Rochester, NY; Sunrisers, Pearl River, NY; Music City Legend, Nashville, TN; Heat Wave, Orlando, FL; Connecticut Hurricanes, Derby, CT; Dream, Los Angeles, CA; Hawthorne Caballeros, Hawthorne, NJ; Reading Buccaneers, Reading, PA; Blue Stars, La Crosse, WI; Mystikal, Newbury Park, CA; Raiders, Wayne, NJ; Archer-Epler Musketeers, Upper Darby, PA; Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Newark, NJ; Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni, LeRoy, NY; Yankee Rebels, Baltimore, MD; Bridgemen Alumni Mini-Corps, Bayonne, NJ; and Joe Marrella.
* “An interview with DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson” — by Steve Vickers
* “An interview with the Troopers’ interim director, Mike Ottoes, about recent events” — by Harry Heidelmark
* “Around the junior drum corps world” — edited by Pat Chagon — with information about the Bluecoats, BD Entertainment, Blue Devils, Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, Carolina Crown, Capital Regiment, The Cavaliers, Colts, The Cadets, Crossmen, Esperanza, Glassmen, Magic Entertainment, Madison Scouts, Mandarins, Phantom Regiment, Pioneer, Santa Clara Vanguard, Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets.
* “Around the senior drum corps world” — edited by Jeff Ream — with information about Alliance, Bushwackers, Empire Statesmen, Music City Legend, River City Regiment, New York Skyliners, Reading Buccaneers, Westshoremen Alumni, Les Senateurs, Sunrisers, Hawthorne Caballeros, Heat Wave, Los Angeles Dream.
* “Des Plaines Vanguard display unveiled” — by Jay McGuffin
* “Bridgemen host open house, plot course for 2006 season”
* “My excellent Allentown adventure” — by Jeff Davis
* ScorpsBoard — full scoring results of the Drum Corps United Kingdom Championships in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, U.K. (October 1); British Youth Band Association Championships in Coventry, Warwickshire, U.K. (October 9); Interservice Academy Competition in Annapolis, MD (October 8).
* “The Amazing world of drum corps” — by Brian Tolzmann
* “Remembering a few old friends” — photo feature with the Kenosa Kingsmen, Kenosha, WI (1965); Royaleers All-Girl, Westmount, NJ (August 29, 1966); Golden Knights, Providence, RI (August 27, 1967); and the Stardusters, Arabi, LA (August 27, 1966) — by Moe Knox.
* Press releases from the following companies and organizations: Yamaha Corporation of America; Empire Statesmen; Hawthorne Caballeros; Color Guard Nederland; Pro-Mark, Inc; Florida Brass; Mystikal; Chippewa Valley Brigade; Pro-Mark and Raiders; Percussive Arts Society; Blue Stars, “SHAKE” event
* “DCI on the big screen takes a step forward” — by Andrew Wheeler
* “DCI releases dates for major events in 2006″
* “DCI on the small screen hits a home run with ESPN2″ — by Andrew Wheeler
* “St. Andrew’s/Bayonne Bridgemen host 40th reunion” — photos and text by Harry Heidelmark
* Cozy’s Corner — column by Mike “Cozy” Baker
* In Memoriam — Frank Pisillo.
Plus advertising by the following companies and organizations that help support Drum Corps World and allow us to continue publishing the newspaper for the 34th continuous year: Dynasty, Lake Geneva, WI; Fleetwood Records, Lynn, MA; Yamaha Corporation of America, Buena Park, CA; Eliptical FX, Hermosa Beach, CA; Pro-Mark, Inc., Houston, TX; Designs by King, Lake Elsinore, CA; FJM, Inc., Miamisburg, OH; WGI, Dayton, OH; Drillmasters, Atlantic Highlands, NJ; National Music, Inc., Woburn, MA; Band Shoppe, Cynthiana, IN; guardcloset, Inc., Mechanicsburg, PA; Kelly Mouthpieces, Fond du Lac, WI; McCormick’s, Arlington Heights, IL; Gateway Shoes, Ballwin, MO; Director’s Showcase, Ligonier, IN; The Woodwind and The Brasswind, South Bend, IN; Inside the Forty, Syracuse, NY; Key Poulen Music, Fresno, CA; StylePlus, Trenton, NJ; 2Cool Percussion, El Mirage, AZ; and Drum Corps International.
To subscribe, take advantage of our special NEW subscriber prices for first class, second class and air mail or call 1-800-554-9630 today!